What type of acne treatments, cleansers, moisturizers and products are right for you?
There are many myths and facts about acne breakouts and acne treatments. However, once you understand what actually causes acne and how pimples form, treating your acne and getting clear skin is simple. At Murad, we believe there are four steps to healthy, acne-free skin: Cleanse | Tone, Treat | Repair, Hydrate | Protect and incorporate Inclusive Health® into your acne treatment program. Read on to learn more about each step.
Acne Treatment Step One: Cleanse | Tone
Cleansing your skin seems like the most obvious and simple step to getting rid of your acne. After all, removing dirt, oil and dead skin cells is an obvious part of getting your skin clear and healthy. However, to truly get acne-free skin, you need to find an effective acne skin cleanser and know how (and how often) to use it.
What Should Your Acne Skin Cleanser Do?
If you have acne-prone skin, just picking up any old skin cleanser won’t do. Your skin has specific needs that should be met by your daily cleanser. Look for skin cleansers that:
- Not only help to remove dirt and oil from the surface of your skin but also exfoliate to remove dry, dead skin cells and clear clogged pores.
- Contain ingredients that actively fight and destroy acne-causing bacteria.
- Don’t include harsh ingredients that will over-dry your skin, potentially causing irritation or worsening breakouts.
- Are designed to improve the overall health of your skin.
In addition looking for an acne skin cleanser that meets the above requirements, it’s important to know how and how often you should wash your face. Here are some tips on washing your face:
- Don’t over-wash! You should really only wash your face twice a day—once in the morning and once in the evening. If you wash your face more frequently than that, you may irritate or over-dry your skin. This can lead to redness, irritation or even more acne breakouts. If you need to control oil through the day, try using a dry oil-blotting cloth.
- Don’t scrub! Treat your skin gently to make sure that you don’t trigger further breakouts. Don’t use a washcloth or loofah to cleanse your face. Simply splash water on your face to wet it, gently apply your cleanser and then rinse and pat dry.
- Don’t use ultra-hot water. While it may feel great on your skin, extremely hot water can irritate your skin and worsen breakouts. Always use warm or cool water to wash your face.
Murad Acne Skin Cleansers
Murad has developed a number of effective acne skin cleansers to meet the unique needs of those with acne prone skin.
Murad’s Time Release Acne Cleanser is ideal for sufferers of adult acne. A Salicylic Acid base helps to clear up acne and prevent new breakouts while hydrators and antioxidants seal in moisture and neutralize free radicals for a more youthful appearance.
This cleanser was specifically formulated for clogged pores and blackheads. The dual-action formula cleanses as it tones, lifting away dirt, oil and pore-clogging impurities without stripping the skin of its natural moisture. Pomegranate Extract balances oily and dry zones while Sodium PCA softens, conditions and hydrates.
Don’t see the right cleanser for you? Browse all of the Murad Acne Face Cleansers.
Acne Treatment Step Two: Repair
Once you’ve cleansed your face, apply an acne treatment that’s formulated to help you get clear skin. In this case, your specific acne treatment product selection may be based on your skin type. If you have drier or combination skin, you may want to use a more gentle acne treatment. If you have oilier skin that’s not as prone to irritation, a stronger treatment product may be ideal. In addition to an acne treatment for your entire face, which will help clear existing breakouts and prevent new ones, try using a spot treatment to treat blemishes on contact. No matter what your skin type or the cause of your acne, however, look for an acne treatment that:
- Contains an acne medication to eliminate acne-causing bacteria.
- Won’t irritate or over-dry your skin, which can cause redness and potentially worsen breakouts.
- Will reduce and clear existing breakouts, prevent future breakouts and improve your skin’s
Once you find an acne treatment, here are some tips on how to use it:
- Don’t skip applications! Use your acne treatment product in the morning and in the evening. Consistency is key.
- Use an acne spot treatment to heal blemishes as they form or as you feel them starting to surface.
- Do not “pick” or “pop” pimples or blemishes. This will actually interfere with your acne treatment products and slow down the process of getting clear.
- Give your acne treatment time to work. Faster isn’t better when it comes to acne treatment. Remember, blemishes form beneath the skin, so to get clear skin you’ll need to wait for several layers of skin to exfoliate away before clear skin is revealed. You may also experience an acne purge, which is an important part of getting clear.
On the Murad Skin Deep Blog: What is an acne purge?
Murad Acne Treatment Products
While there are many acne treatment products in the Murad line of acne solutions, here are some of the most popular. You may want to explore the full line of Murad acne treatment products to find the best solution for your skin care needs.
The primary acne treatment product in the Murad Acne Complex® regimen. Retinol and Glycolic Acid exfoliate, the Hydrogen Peroxide delivery system purifies without drying, and Salicylic Acid fights acne-causing bacteria.
Acne Treatment Step Three: Protect
People with acne-prone skin often think that using a moisturizer isn’t a necessary part of their acne treatment regimen because their skin is “already oily enough.” However, properly hydrated skin is healthy skin, and oily skin needs moisture too. In fact, when your skin isn’t properly hydrated, it actually produces more oil to compensate, which can lead to even more breakouts. Additionally, using a moisturizer now can help reduce and minimize the signs of aging later on and can provide you with an essential layer of SPF protection during the day. If you have acne-prone skin, be sure to look for a moisturizer that:
- Is oil-free, so it will hydrate your skin without making it more oily.
- Contains soothing ingredients to calm the redness and irritation often associated with acne breakouts.
When using your acne-prone skin moisturizer:
- Apply it both in the morning and in the evening.
- Don’t skip areas of your skin that are currently broken out. The hydrating effect of the moisturizer can actually help heal and soothe a flared-up breakout.
Murad Moisturizers for Acne Prone Skin
Because hydration is such an important part of getting healthy, acne-free skin, Murad developed a number
of moisturizers particularly for people who are prone to acne breakouts.
Don’t see the moisturizer you want? See all of Murad’s oil-free moisturizers.
Acne Treatment Step Four: Utilize an Inclusive Health® Approach
Finally, the Murad philosophy of skin care is based around the concept that healthy, acne-free skin begins from the inside out. No matter how good your acne treatment products are, your lifestyle choices also impact the health of your skin (and your whole body). To get clear skin, make sure that you’re incorporating all of the following into your life:
- Diet: Limit fast foods and processed foods and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, which are rich in antioxidants.
- Hydration: Healthy skin is hydrated skin. “Eat” your water daily by having plenty of water-rich fruits and vegetables to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out.
- Sleep: Sleep deprivation weakens all of the cells in your body, including your skin cells, so be sure to get seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
- Cultural Stress: We can’t escape stress entirely, but we can minimize it. Stress can worsen acne breakouts, so look for ways to minimize stress in your life.
- Toxins and Pollutants: Be sure to take advantage of any opportunity that you have to minimize your exposure to environmental toxins and pollutants!
What Did You Just Learn About Acne Treatment Products?
In this section of the Murad Acne Resource Guide, you should have learned the following key points:
- There are four steps to treating acne for clear skin: cleanse, treat, hydrate and utilize an Inclusive Health® approach.
- Look for an acne skin cleanser that removes pore-clogging dirt, oil and dead skin cells and also delivers medication to fight acne causing bacteria.
- Look for an acne treatment that contains medications to fight acne causing bacteria but won’t over-dry or irritate your skin.
- Don’t skip the moisturizer! Proper hydration is key for healthy, balanced skin and can help you achieve a beautiful, acne-free complexion.
- The following elements of Inclusive Health® can also play a role in getting clear skin and should be a part of your overall acne treatment plan: eating right, keeping your skin hydrated, getting enough sleep, reducing Cultural Stress and minimizing your exposure to toxins.
Acne Treatment Product Resources
In addition to the product recommendations included in this section, you may find the following Murad products helpful in your acne treatment program.
Murad Pure Skin® Clarifying Dietary Supplement
Enhance your Inclusive Health® approach to skin care and acne treatment with this daily dietary supplement. It reduces blemishes while encouraging consistently clear, healthy skin.
Murad Acne Complex® Kit
Murad’s proven and popular complete acne treatment solution. 92% of users saw a reduction in breakouts in just three days.* Address all your acne treatment needs, from reducing clogged pores to fighting acne-causing bacteria.