Nobody wants to look like their frowning with deep forehead wrinkles. Learn how to keep a smooth forehead.
Wrinkles on the forehead are very common for a number of reasons—including sun exposure, Genetic Aging and common facial movements. The anti wrinkle experts at Murad discuss the causes of forehead wrinkles and the best ways to treat them.
Forehead wrinkles can be particularly problematic as you age. This large, highly visible area of your face is particularly prone to wrinkle development. And if you’ve tried to cover up the signs of aging on your forehead by styling your hair differently or wearing hats, you’re not alone. Fortunately, while there are many causes of forehead wrinkles, there are also many ways to minimize and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your forehead. With a good skin care regimen and some basic preventive steps, you can maintain a smooth, wrinkle–free forehead for years to come.
On the Murad Skin Deep Blog: Treating and Preventing Forehead Wrinkles
Basic Causes of Forehead Wrinkles
The most basic causes of forehead wrinkles are no different from the primary causes of wrinkles that we discussed in the previous section of the Murad Anti Aging Skin Care and Resource Center. Hormonal Aging occurs during the years leading up to and immediately following menopause, when the body produces less skin-enhancing estrogen. As a result, collagen production decreases and the strength of the elastin in your skin deteriorates. As collagen production begins to slow down, your skin loses its suppleness and firmness, causing wrinkles and fine lines to become more pronounced. And when elastin begins to lose its flexibility, your skin doesn’t “spring” back into place as quickly as it used to, increasing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. If you already have a high level of free radicals in your system due to environmental factors like exposure to UV rays, toxins and cigarette smoke, this process may be accelerated.
Even if you’re not experiencing Hormonal Aging, the natural process of Genetic Aging results in the breakdown and weakening of collagen and elastin over time. Whether it’s the result of hormonal shifts or just of time and age, the breakdown of these two proteins leads to the formation of wrinkles, including those on your forehead.
The Sun: A Primary Factor Contributing to Forehead Wrinkles
Nothing accelerates the signs of aging on your skin faster than exposure to UV rays. It not only introduces damaging free radicals into your system, it also interferes with the production of collagen and elastin fibers. Since your forehead is exposed to the sun on a daily basis, it’s also particularly susceptible to the development of age spots.
On the Murad Skin Deep Blog: Understanding, Preventing and Treating Dark Spots and Age Spots
Repetitive Face Movements: A Second Primary Factor Contributing to Forehead Wrinkles
As we previously discussed, repetitive face movements can cause wrinkles over time, and forehead wrinkles due to repetitive facial movements are incredibly common. Just think about how often you wrinkle your forehead–whether you’re frowning, feeling stressed out or expressing emotion. As the elastin in your skin weakens due to Genetic Aging, Hormonal Aging or Environmental Aging, your skin has a harder time “springing” back into place after you make these movements. As a result, your once temporary frown lines can become permanent wrinkles on your forehead.
Preventing Forehead Wrinkles
Of course, as with all anti wrinkle advice, the best offense is a good defense. While you can’t fight the signs of aging forever, you can make wise skin care and lifestyle choices to keep your skin looking healthy, young and wrinkle–free for as long as possible.
- Be Responsible About Sun Protection: Make sure that your daily moisturizer has an SPF of at least 15. And on days that you’re going to be in the sun for an extended period of time, use an even higher SPF facial lotion and reapply often.
- Reduce Stress: Reducing Cultural Stress™ is an important part of the Inclusive Health® approach to anti aging treatment—particularly when it comes to preventing forehead wrinkles. Minimizing stress can minimize repetitive facial movements like frowning that may cause permanent lines and wrinkles.
- Diet and Hydration: As detailed in Dr. Murad’s Inclusive Health® approach to anti aging and anti wrinkle treatments, diet and hydration are two of the most critically important elements for preserving youthful looking skin. Eat an antioxidant-rich anti aging diet to help counteract the effects of free radicals. And don’t forget to “eat your water” by having plenty of water-rich fruits and vegetables to help boost skin hydration and suppleness.
- It’s Never Too Early for Anti Wrinkle Creams and Serums: Wrinkles begin to form long before they become visible on the skin’s surface. It’s never too early to begin using an anti wrinkle cream, serum or treatment to improve skin health and help prevent the signs of aging.
- Smile! Frowning creates the repetitive motion most responsible for furrowed brows and forehead wrinkles. Be happy and smile more to prevent them.
Anti Wrinkle Treatments for Forehead Wrinkles
The process of treating forehead wrinkles is the same as the anti wrinkle treatment process for any other area of your face. Use products that restore hydration and firmness together with products that lift away dry, dehydrated, dead skin cells, bringing newer, suppler skin to the surface.
Combat Collagen Breakdown: The best anti aging skin care products help to combat the breakdown of collagen. Through The Science of Cellular Water™ and the best scientific ingredients available, Murad Age–Diffusing Serumimproves suppleness, inhibits collagen breakdown and restores firmness while reducing the appearance of medium-to-deep wrinkles. You’ll want to look for products that include Retinol for collagen building and antioxidants to fight free radicals and prevent the faster breakdown of collagen and elastin.
Hydrate: Anti aging moisturizers boost skin hydration while diminishing the appearance of wrinkles on your forehead. In addition to hydrating your skin from within by eating your water, use a daytime moisturizer as well as a nighttime moisturizer with anti wrinkle ingredients. Murad Hydro-Dynamic® Ultimate Moisture maximizes skin hydration while it combats the visible signs of aging. Remember that your daytime moisturizer should be lightweight enough for comfort and should include SPF protection. Your nighttime moisturizer should be richer and stronger to help restore hydration while your body sleeps and recovers.
Improve Cellular Turnover: The process of sloughing off the dead, dehydrated cells on the surface of your skin enables newer, more hydrated cells to come to the surface and helps minimize the appearance of wrinkles. To help speed up this process, try Murad Intensive Resurfacing Peel. It contains Glycolic and Salicylic Acids to accelerate cell turnover and lift newer, younger cells to the surface.
Adopt an Inclusive Health® Approach: Making healthy lifestyle and diet choices not only helps prevent the signs of aging; it can also help to slow down and repair existing signs of aging. Eat an antioxidant-rich diet, hydrate by eating your water, reduce Cultural Stress, be sure to get enough sleep and reduce your daily exposure to toxins. A few basic preventive measures and a good anti wrinkle skin care regimen can help keep your forehead smooth and youthful-looking for many years to come.
Product Resources for Anti Wrinkle Treatment
If you’re looking for a treatment to minimize the appearance of lines and wrinkles, try the following Murad skin care and anti aging products.
Murad Resurgence® Introductory Kit
Specifically formulated to combat the signs of Hormonal Aging through The Science of Cellular Water™, Murad Resurgence increases skin’s firmness and smoothness.
Murad Age Reform® Night Regimen
Using Retinol, Salicylic and Glycolic Acids, Murad Age Reform products increase cell turnover and lift newer, fresher skin cells to the surface—for skin that’s younger looking with fewer lines and wrinkles.
Murad Environmental Shield® Introductory Kit
Murad Environmental Shield skin care products repair and restore skin from environmental and UV ray exposure through the power of antioxidant-rich Vitamin C.
What Did You Just Learn About Forehead Wrinkles?
In this section of the Murad Anti Aging Skin Care and Resource Center, you should have learned the
- The basic cause of forehead wrinkles is the same as other wrinkles: the breakdown of collagen and elastin due to Genetic, Hormonal or Environmental Aging.
- The forehead is particularly susceptible to wrinkles as a result of sun damage from daily exposure to UV rays.
- Since many facial expressions involve movement of the forehead, repetitive facial motions are another a major cause of forehead wrinkles.
- The best steps for preventing forehead wrinkles include being responsible about sun protection, reducing stress, making healthy diet and hydration choices and using anti wrinkle treatments before wrinkles become visible.
- The best steps for treating forehead wrinkles include inhibiting the breakdown of collagen, hydrating the skin and improving cellular turnover on the skin’s surface.